S. 68th Street Construction - Road Expected to Be Closed June 15th thru July 15th
Notice that the City of Franklin is starting a project to improve S. 68th Street between W. Drexel Avenue and W. Puetz Road. The road is expected to be closed from June 15 to July 15, weather dependent.
The official detour will use Drexel / 76th / Puetz. No through traffic allowed. Residents living in the zone will still be able to access their homes, although we ask for patience as the path to your home may change as construction occurs.
You may recall that over the past few years, there has been much discussion on the need for this project.
- There are two hills on S. 68th Street that we are shaving to improve sight distance (currently tough to see a dog or small child that could be just over the hill).
- We are shrinking the drive lanes from current 11 or 12 feet down to 10 feet wide. This may not seem like a lot but studies show that 10-foot lanes make people drive slower.
- Depending on the width of the existing road, we may/may not be widening 1-foot on each side. The resulting pavement section will be 24-feet that will leave 2-feet for someone to walk.
- The asphalt subcontractor for the hill shaving project is also the same contractor who will be doing the annual road paving project this year, which includes the areas before, between, and after the hills, so the final pavement will happen at the same time.
For questions, please contact the Engineering Department at 414-425-7510.
2020 Local Street Improvement Program Prioritized Listing
1. Planning, surveying, and design for new, reconstructed and resurfaced:
Public Parking Lots
2. Planning, surveying, and design for relay, repair, extension and relining
3. Planning, surveying, and design for:
Water Main Extensions
4. Planning and design for installation of:
5. Planning, permits, and design of drainage for:
Board of Public Works
Board of Water Commissioners