Skip to Content
City of Franklin Wisconsin
Main Content


Open AllClose All
Why is my water usage so high?

If your water bill seems high, it may be a leak in your toilet.  Toilet leaks are the most common leaks.  They usually occur in the overflow pipe or plunger ball.  Check your toilets and faucets for leaks twice a year.

How do I check for leaks in my toilet?

Put a couple of drops of food coloring into the back tank of your toilet (do not flush).  If any of the coloring comes through to the bowl, then there is a leak.  Usually it is the rubber ring by the plunger that can easily be replaced for a few dollars.

Another way to check is to read the water meter in your basement before going to bed and then again when you wake up in the morning.  As long as you know no one has used water, the meter dials will not move.  If they have moved, then something has pulled water through the meter which could be a leak.

Why are we asked to adopt a hydrant?

During the winter months, it is imperative to keep snow away from the water hydrants in front of your homes.  In the event of a fire in your home or your neighbor's, the extra time used by the firefighters to have to uncover these hydrants could possibly cost lives.

What is a water emergency?

A water emergency would be a water main break where you would have no water in your house.  Call the Service Information Number of 414-421-2613 during the hours of 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., or after hours call 414-425-2522, the Franklin Police Department.  If you are on a private well, contact a plumber.

Where is my water meter and why doesn't anyone come to my house to read it?

Your water meter is usually located in your basement where the water supply enters your home.  The shut-off valve is usually located here too.  It is important to know where the master shut-off valve is in case you have a major leak.

The meter is read by a radio transponder.  The transponder is integrated into the water meter.  The meter reader just needs to drive by your house and the reading equipment automatically picks up the reading.

Can my name be placed on the bill rather than the word "Resident"?

Yes, we would be happy to change that for you.  Please call us at 414-425-7510 or use the "Moving" section on the return portion of your billing statement when you mail in your payment.

Customer Service

Billing Information:
(M-F, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Service Information:
(M-F, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.)

Service/Emergency After Hours:
414-425-2522 (Police Dept.)

Franklin Water Tower

If moving, please notify the
Utility Office at 414-425-7510 to have your bill forwarded or to
identify a new customer.


Related Links

Board of Water Commissioners