Bill Dudash, Department of Public Works SuperintendentThe Franklin Common Council has affirmed the selection of Bill Dudash as the Department of Public Works Superintendent. Mayor Steve Olson and City Engineer Glen Morrow recommended Bill for many reasons including: his great working knowledge of City of Franklin operations; his strong leadership skills; and ability to effectively communicate DPW operations to the public.  Bill has over 39 years of DPW experience in Milwaukee and Ozaukee Counties, including the past 15 years here in Franklin as Jerry Schaefer’s Assistant Superintendent. Bill’s vision for the DPW is to continue providing the residents of Franklin with excellent services as we continue to grow, while objectively meeting the policies and procedures in place. 

When not hard at work at 7979 W. Ryan Road, Bill enjoys spending time with his family and cruising the open roads on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle.  Next time you see Bill, please welcome this familiar face to his new role here in Franklin. 


 The Highway/Parks Department provides the staff, equipment, and supplies to construct, operate and maintain the public infrastructure.  The public infrastructure includes such items as the City streets, storm sewers, foresty, street signs, street lighting, public parks, bike trails, City owned lands, and drainage ways.

In more specific terms, Highway/Parks Department employees maintain the City's 169.25 miles of City streets, 48 miles of sidewalk, 16 parks, 10,000+ curbside trees, 90+ miles of storm sewers, 3,300 catch basins and manholes, 168 vehicles, public right-of-way land, and 5 Highway Department buildings.  The Highway/Parks Department also completes numerous major special projects yearly in an effort to save City tax dollars.

The Highway/Parks Department provides the manpower and supplies necessary to properly maintain all City Parks.  This encompasses 250.3 acres of land, 11.2 miles of bike trails, and 16 recreational facilities.  The City Parks include play equipment, playfields, play structures, ball diamonds, tennis courts, volleyball courts, basketball courts, and reservable park buildings.  Park facility reservations are handled through the City Clerk's Office.



How do I reserve a park in the City of Franklin?

Park facility reservations are handled through the City Clerk's Office.  Click here for details on park reservations.


Who do I call for street maintenance concerns?

Please call the Public Works Department at 414-425-2592 for any questions related to street maintenance, i.e., potholes, debris on streets, burnt out street lights, limited visibility at intersections, blocked or faded street signs. 


Does the City have spring and fall road restrictions?

Yes.  Please call the Engineering Department at 414-425-7510.  Road restrictions are posted as soon as possible and notices are faxed to those that request to be put on the list.  Click here for the current Road Restriction Limits.


Who do I call pertaining to snow related problems?

If you have concerns regarding winter street maintenance, please call the Public Works Department at 414-425-2592.  If no one is available to take your call, please leave a message and someone will get back to you.  If immediate attention is required, please call the Police Department at 414-425-2522 and they will relay the message.


Who do I contact if my mailbox was struck by a City snow plow truck?

If your mailbox was struck by a City snow plow truck, please call the Public Works Department at 414-425-2592.  If no one is available to take your call, please leave a message and someone will get back to you.


What is accepted at the Franklin Residential Brush & Recycling Center?

Franklin Residential Brush Drop-Off & Recycling Center
Franklin Public Works Facility
7979 W. Ryan Road
Hours:  Monday thru Saturday (except holidays), 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Proof of Franklin residency is required.

Items Accepted:  Brush (up to 6" in diameter), used motor oil, used antifreeze (2 gallons max per visit), car and truck batteries, clean glass, clean plastic containers with Codes 1 thru 7, clean tin and aluminum cans, newspapers, and flattened cardboard boxes.

Items Not Accepted:  Garden debris, grass clippings, leaves, household trash, windows, mirrors, light bulbs, tires or appliances.


Are wood chips available to Franklin residents?

Wood chips are available to Franklin residents.  Please call the Department of Public Works at 425-2592 for more information. 

Department of Public Works
7979 W. Ryan Road
Franklin, WI  53132

Phone:  414-425-2592
Fax:  414-425-7315

Hours:  M-F, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Department of Public Works

Bill Dudash, Supt. of Public Works


Kevin Schlueter,
Asst. Supt. of Public Works


Tom Riha, City Forester

Andrea Stormoen, Admin. Assistant



Related Links

Park Reservations